Candidate Financial Statements>
Filing Financial Statements
Candidates who file a nomination for the 2022 Municipal Election are required to file a Financial Statement no later than Friday March 31, 2023 at 2 p.m. Financial statements are public documents and are legally required to be made publicly available. A Candidate must submit a separate financial statement for each office for which they were nominated, even if they later withdrew.
Key 2023 Financial Filing Dates:
- Friday, March 31 at 2 p.m.
- Deadline for candidates to file regular campaign period financial statements
- Monday, May 1 at 2 p.m.
- End of late submission period for candidates to file regular campaign period financial statements (including $500 fee for late filing)
- Friday, June 30
- End of extended campaign period
- Friday, September 29 at 2 p.m.
- Deadline for candidates to file the supplementary financial statement (applies only to those who extended their campaign period)
- Monday, October 30 at 2 p.m.
- End of late submission period for candidates to file supplementary campaign period financial statements (including $500 fee for late filing)
Compliance Audit Committee
The Compliance Audit Committee (CAC) reviews and considers compliance audit applications submitted by an elector who believes that a Candidate or Registered Third Party Advertiser has contravened a provision of the Municipal Elections Act (MEA) relating to election campaign finances. The CAC is also responsible for reviewing reports submitted by the Town Clerk with respect to any contributor who appears to have contravened any of the contribution limits to a candidates’ election campaign or to a Registered Third Party Advertiser. The Committee has the authority to:
- Grant or reject a compliance audit application;
- Appoint an auditor to conduct an audit where the application is granted;
- Consider the auditor’s or Clerk’s report within 30 days of receiving it; and
- Decide whether to commence legal proceedings against the Candidate, a contributor or Registered Third Party for any apparent contravention.